“Low, here I sit in Holyhead
With muddy ale and mouldy bread
All Christian victuals stink of fish
I’m where my enemies would wish”
Jonathan Swift
Nice style there, J.S., I think borrow it when I get back: "
"Low, here I sit in Norton Mass
Nothing to do, my thumb up my ass
I have no gas, and the rent is due
Hey, can I borrow a few bucks from you?"
Anyway: Wrong Johnny Boy! I was just there in Holyhead, and couldn’t find anyplace to have seafood; it's not a fishing port, at least not anymore. Now “Ale”, is a whole other matter; both here in Ireland and in England! It is plentiful everywhere, dark strong and (so they say) very tasty. The offer "Pub Crawls" every night of the week. No thanks; I'm having enough trouble staying on my feet and getting around.
I had to walk about a mile to get to a laundry mat here in Dublin, on the way I counted 31 Public Houses (Pubs) and many bars and clubs. Pubs open very early here, as many of them serve breakfast; both liquid and otherwise. If I don’t go to the north of this country, and travel to Edinborough from Belfast, I’d like to spend some time in Wales, particularly in Holyhead, as there are some very interesting things to see there.
The ferry trip from North Wales, to Dublin was great, though a nit bippy on deck. I crossed over on the Jonathan Swift (thus, the quote) very well appoineted, theater, bars, slot machns, barf bags, and she's fast. Here are links to Holyhead and the Fast Ship Jonathan Swift, otherwise referred t as the Dublin Swift.
http://www.holyhead.org/
http://www.irishferries.com/dublinswift/index.shtml
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment