Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I had the most fantastic day, Went on a tour of County Wicklow, south of Dublin. Wicklow is known as "The Garden of Ireland" because of its scenery. I cannot describe to you how beautiful it is up there, and mere photos are inadequate as well. Combined with the sent of the various wild flowers, and peat the heather, the chirping of songbirds, and other stimuli, the scenery is intoxicating; I didn’t have to linger at the Guinness Brewery to get a buzz.

The photo is of one of the lakes up in those mountains. It is the spot where someone wrote a tune he first called “Scrambled Eggs”, but it was published under another name.

"The first person to tell me who that was and what song he wrote there, gets a T-shirt when I get home."

We also passed by the spot where battle scenes in “Breaveheart” were filmed; yes, it was about William Wallace, who was Scotsman and a patriot.

Of course there was the visit to Avoca, or better know as Ballykissangel

http://www.world-productions.com/wp/Content/shows/ballyk/ballyk.htm

And my favourite stop was the monastic ruins, said to be the burial place of St. Kevin. Beautiful examples of and various renditions of ancient Celtic Crosses.

http://www.glencree.ie/ please check it out. The site of an old children’s jail where Irish youth, mostly orphans, some as young as seven years old were interred for the smallest offences; like stealing food to stay alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.