Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Departure: May 15, 2007 Logan, Boston - 8:20 a.m.

First of all, I'd like to thank The Salvation Army organization for, however inadvertently, making this trip financially possible, and for some of the clothes I'll be wearing during this trip.


This is my first, and probably my last, trip across the pond. With only six days to go, needless to say, I’m very excited, as are most of you guys (my small circle friends), particularly Bethy, and my big brother Wayne. Thank you for all of your help, support and advice; the latter of which, as you well know, I probably will not take, but opt to do things my own way. Why change now?

What's the plan: Well, there really aint any! My lack of a “proper” itinerary, other than reserving accommodations for the first three nights in London, seems odd to some of you, and scary to others that I’ve spoken to. However, I do have a plan of sorts, it just doesn’t involve making plans!

Example: Suppose, just for instance, that on day two in London I “plan” to go see Big Ben, but terrorists take it down (Ala WTC) before I get there; now I'm screwed out of snap shots of a big clock! Well, I just don’t want to set myself up for such disappointment, or be anywhere in that vicinity if it were to actually happen. KnowwhatImean?

The Human Element: Outside of the many tourist spots and traps, wherever I find myself, there will be local people: at town, shire and neighborhood gatherings, at functions (both religious and secular); at the corner store, the local pub, or chip shop. I plan to find some of these places, and meet some folk. The Brits are dog lovers, as am I, with that in mind I also plan to ask if I might photograph people and their dogs whenever I can.

Also, there'll be other backpackers, fellow travelers, and people moving in the same directions that I will find myself moving in; most will be more experienced, and more seasoned than I am. I consider myself a quick study, and as such, I am sure that I will learn on the fly from these people.

Accommodations: The nine to twenty dollars (USD) per night that I will pay to sleep in an eight, or ten bed hostel dorm in London, or the (roughly) fourteen to twenty two Euros ($19-$22 USD approximately) that I expect to spend per night to bunk at one of the many hostels, most anywhere in Ireland, and Scotland, is within my budget. Additionally, I am accustomed to sleeping in environments where there is little, or no privacy; and, of course, the absence of bars and guards will be refreshing.

According to some of the little research that I’ve done for this trip, it appears that many of the hostels in London are located in old, but renovated buildings in some very old and historic areas of the city; some of which are of particular historical significance, and a few of the hostels are rumored to be haunted. Ooooo! Way kewl!

So, I’ve not sighed onto a guided tour; therefore, I’ve not been assured “a safe, carefree and pleasant trip”. I have no guarantees, but there really aren't any, if you think about it. Still, I have taken some precautions and I do hope to have a safe trip; and besides, others have done it.

Note: I will be adding to this blog whenever possible as I travel and there will be links to photos and possibly some short video clips. With that, "Yeehaw!" I am off. Kevin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey nice.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.