Saturday, May 26, 2007

Winding down ....

Went up to The Giants Causeway yesterday, you my know it better as the funny looking rock formation on the front of Led Zep 1; the one with the naked pubesent girl lounging across some rocks. Fantastic vistas, but quite a lot of walking involved in seeing that part of the coast.

Concerning distances: In the movie the quiet man Maureen O'hara's character (Mary Kate Danaher) sez to John Wayne's character (Sean Thorton), after he dresses her down a wee bit for leaving him to walk home five miles "Tis only a good stretch of the legs!"

And so it is in Ireland. You will ask for directions, and folks'll say something like: "Ohh, et's no far'tal, lad. Go doon pass the pub daer, and tack a right, yeah, den it's right roond the carner daer." So, twenty minutes later, you arrive at your destination; it's happened to me time and time again.

On the way back I stopped in Derry, there vising the "Walled City". I walked the ramparts and took some pictures of the area where "Bloody Sunday" occuered, and of course talked to folks.

I also found out that, and not many years ago, the IRA had blown up two of the busses owned by the tour company ("Paddy Wagon") I traved with yesterday, which were parked (late at night and empty) right in front of the hostel that I stayed at first night.

The hotel Europa, Brit owned, in Belfast has been blow up and rebuilt 28 times by the IRA; they tried to run the Brits up by making it financialy unviable to be here; seems that to me that stagity is being used right now elsewhere on the planet. Gotta go get my ferry to Scotland, then train to ... who knows where, I think I'm changing up again. Bank Holiday in the UK on Monday, I don't want to get jammed up. No pics, at kiosk, no USB connection to connect camera. Next stop maybe.

No comments: